Saturday, March 31, 2012

I want to Go with Oh to Prague


Everyone has their list of dream destinations and Ursa and I are no exception. Near the very top of our "to visit" list is the capitol of the Czech Republic, Prague. "The most precious stone in the crown of the world" according to Goethe. A city whose culture and beauty rivals Paris, Rome or any of the other great cities of Europe, or the world. I would like to Go With Oh! to be their guest blogger. (Check out their site, and the very cool Facebook competition where you could win 4 fantastic prizes). Should I get the privilage of being Go With Oh's guest blogger here are my top five things that I want to see while in Prague.

#5 Prague Castle

The first stones were laid in 880 AD and more than 1100 years later it continues to function as the seat of power for the Czech Republic; serving now as the home of its President, as well as being a national heritage site, storing priceless relics, historical documents, and the Czech Crown Jewels. Prague Castle is, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest castle in the world and represents virtually every architectural style of the last millennium. In the 1300's it began serving its first of two stints as the seat of the Holy Roman Empire during the reign of Charles IV. Though as the seat of power moved between Prague and Vienna the castle has gone through periods of disrepair, today it has been restored and once again acting in its intended role.


#4  Beer


Would you even believe me if I told you that I planned to go to one of the beer capitols of Europe intent on sipping nothing but Dr Pepper? If so, I've got a "can't miss" investment opportunity for you. Look, I'm not a college student looking to get twisted and hit on "hotties" anymore, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to pass up on some indulgences while at the home of Pilsner Urquell!
The Czechs drink more beer per capita than any other country in the world, swilling down a remarkable 158.6 litres per person, annually. The Irish are a distant second with 131.1, followed by the Germans, Austrians, and Australians to round out the top 5.
So, we've established that beer is taken very seriously around Prague and I'm sure that even my beer-snob buddies would be interested to hear the opinions of the locals when it comes to brew.


#3 Architecture

Fantastic examples of architecture are to be found throughout Prague, especially in the historic city center. Another great place for beautiful buildings is the residential district known as the Vinohrady or "vinyards" is renowned to be an elegant blend of architectural styles including: Neo-Renaissance, Art Nouveau, Neo-Gothic, and Pseudo Baroque; most coming from the late 1800's through the turn of the 20th century. The area also features a number of parks and gardens.
The Frank Gehry designed EMP in Seattle (Photo by Ursa Davis)
To tell the truth though, one piece of architecture that I'm really excited to see is from my favorite architect Frank Gehry, a dancing building known as "Fred and Ginger". I've been fascinated by Gehry's work ever since the first time I saw the Experience Music Project in Seattle, and again by the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.  His expressionist post modern style is at first shocking, gaudy, and bombastic but the more you look at them the more complex and beautiful they become. Gehry's work is an elegant break from the expected and visually intoxicating. I cannot wait to see Fred and Ginger in the context of their natural settings, as photography rarely does justice to architecture.

#2 Catching a Show

Flying Lotus at the Melkweg in Amsterdam
Culture is more than museums and folk dancing. It's as much modern as traditional, and is often found in the minutiae of everyday life. How do people dress, how do they interact, how lively or reserved are they? I like getting a sense of this by making a point to do something abroad that I would do at home. My favorite way is to go to a rock show at a local concert house. Not a big name stadium show but a mid level touring act at a 1000 seat or so venue. One memorable show was seeing the emerging electronic sensation Flying Lotus play at the Melkweg in Amsterdam. It was great not just because of the show or the music, but because of the people. Amsterdam's love affair with electronic music is well known and it was cool to see their enthusiasm for that style of music first-hand, unencumbered by other tourists.
Anne Ducros at La Cigal in Paris
In Paris we got tickets to see the lovely and talented Anne Ducros perform at La Cigale. It was a beautiful, big band homage to Ella Fitzgerald full of all the ball gowns and black ties of a bygone era. Ursa and I had a wonderful date night, and the evening was without a doubt the most Parisian thing that we did during our time in Paris. Jazz clubs are another favorite place of mine to mingle with the locals. Finding these shows can take a little research but it's well worth the extra effort. For rock shows I would recommend searching the website Jambase. Good jazz clubs on the other hand are as relative as good jazz, so that can be a little trickier, and may require more legwork.

#1 The Municipal House

To say that Ursa is a fan of Art Nouveau would be a monumental understatement. A mere fan wouldn't have a full sleeve tattoo of Alphonse Mucha art on her arm! I am a fan, but Ursa is a true devotee. We both look forward to seeing the myriad of examples of Art Nouveau found throughout Prague. Be it art in its museums, or the facades of its buildings, or the seamlessly flowing decor for which the movement was also known. But the crown jewel of the Art Nouveau movement in Prague is the legendary Municipal House.
This year will mark the 100th anniversary of the civic landmark, concert hall and art nouveau masterpiece, which opened it's doors in November of 1912. The exterior was designed by architects Osvald Polivka and Antonin Balsanek while the various halls and concert area inside were decorated by a variety of famous artists of the day including the Mayor Hall which was designed by Alphonse Mucha himself and contains several of his greatest works, as well as furnishings and objets d'art by the artist.
Listening to the philharmonic play the music of a composer from Prague, (Antonin Dvorak would be appropriate) played at one of Europe's finest symphony halls/architectural masterpieces on the building's centennial celebration would indeed be worth flying half way around the world to see.

But, let's face it, all of those reasons are really just window dressing. None of that is the driving force that inspires me to see what Prague has to offer. The REAL reason that I want to go to Prague is the same reason that I want to go anywhere and that is that there, ultimately, will always be something unforeseen and unexpected that is gained through the act of travelling. Something that latches onto you like a barnacle to be carried with you to every subsequent port of call. Sometimes it is profound, sometimes mundane; it could be palpable, tangible or emotional; an unforgettable smell or the stirring memory of a sunset. You could learn something new about the world, you could learn something new about yourself. Whatever IT is, that discovery is the very essence of why we travel. It is that mysterious, unknowable something that compels us to venture to the places that we have never before explored. A friend told me recently, "The hardest thing to learn, is how little you actually know." I don't know what fresh nugget I might uncover in Prague, all I know is that I don't know enough. All I know is that there's something there to be found, and I think it's time that I find it.


2 comments:

  1. If you get to go, which I hope you do I have a friend that lives there who I am sure would be happy to enlighten you to the local music scene too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a solo trip to Prague as a quick Prague city breaks trip last April. It was wonderful and I found that learning a few Czech phrases went a long way. Since I was there for my first time, I chose to stay right near the Astrological Clock which was a perfect central location. Thought I'd share!

    ReplyDelete